Sunday 17 March 2013

Oz the great and powerful review



So I have just got back from viewing this movie with  my friend Yvonne. I was a little dubious at first as its a prequel. A prequel to the Wizard of Oz which is one of my favourite movies ever made. Return to oz as a sequel always kind of freaked me out - come on that witch with the interchangable heads and the wheelers ..... Im 32 and I still shudder thinking about those things.



Anyway I was happily surprised to see actually it was pretty good. James Franco did a fine job as the wizard. Zack Braffs monkey was spot on. I think the most interesting part though was delving into the history of the witches Mila Kunis's Theodora, Rachel Weisz's Evanora and Michelle Williams Glinda.



Disney stayed true to the original and had the start of the film in black and white only going to colour once the Wizard landed in Oz. It was a spectacular scene of marvelous flowers and butterfly's, waterfalls, the yellow brick wall. In fact you almost wanted to step right through the screen and be there with Franco, until the water fairies appeared LOL

Anyway it was a feel good movie. The wizard starts out his moral compass a little loose shall we say but by the end of the journey he saves the land from the wicked witches and you see how he becomes the disemboweled head Dorothy visits in the original movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment