Saturday 6 October 2012

Red dwarf Series 10 Ep 1 - Spoilers as always!




It's cold outside, there's no kind of atmosphere
I'm all alone, more or less
Let me fly far away from here
Fun, fun, fun in the sun, sun, sun

I want to lie shipwrecked and comatose
Drinking fresh mango juice
Goldfish shoals nibbling at my toes
Fun, fun, fun in the sun, sun, sun
Fun, fun, fun in the sun, sun, sun

I'll pack my bags and head into hyperspace
Where I'll succeed at time-warp speed
Spend my days in ultraviolet rays
Fun, fun, fun in the sun, sun, sun

We'll lock on course straight through the universe
You and me and the galaxy
Reach the stage where hyperdrive's engaged
Fun, fun, fun in the sun, sun, sun
Fun, fun, fun in the sun, sun, sun

It was so nice to see the crew back after such a long long long time. Having been a Red Dwarf fan for at least 2 thirds of my life the last few weeks on Dave reliving all the classics really had me excited. More so when the Metro had a massive ad on the way to work monday.

I have to say I have been lucky enough to meet nearly everyone bar the bloke who plays the Cat. Danny - you are still on my bucket list! I have also got my father autographs of all the rest as he loves this show too. My last con, Chris Barrie - who by the way is one of the loveliest people and con guests you can ever meet had me in stitches leaving a party in Red Dwarf socks!

Anyway to the review ......

Episode 1 - the one with Rimmers Brother

Once again Rimmer has failed the officers test and he is grousing about it. He reads one of the questions and its to do with stopping a car in Canada. The reason being to avoid a moose. Queue a brilliantly simple yet hilarious all the way through joke about how everyone bar Rimmer knows its a moose.

Meanwhile they find another ship and there's a distress call from Rimmers brother! Rimmer trys again to pass his test as he doesn't want to see his brother again not being as successful as him. Rimmers holodrive malfunctions and it turns out its due to a Resentment overload. They drain him off and get him back operational again.

Cat and Lister end up getting suckered in by some droid infomercials and decide they want to order a stir-master. They spend most of the episode being passed from droid to droid and department to department. Kryten takes over at one point and ends up yelling. Lister adopts the attitude that he's getting through regardless and is still holding on 3 days later when the boys (after Rimmer fails his test once more) all agree to a ruse to pretend to Rimmers brother that he is a Captain.

Rimmers brother comes on-board with a female sim and he falls hook line and sinker for the rouse. And then hilariously his brothers holodrive has a resentment overload. The Sim says she is going to tranfer them back to a medi base and she allegedly disappears. But alas in a nice doublecross shes an insane women intend on wiping them out and only teleports 3 floors up to the armory.

Cat saves the day (he's ended up getting lost in the new ship and stumbles on the sim holding the rest captive at just the right time). He stabs a something containing the resentment into her neck. She gets neutralized and brilliantly at the end the boys have their stir-master in the form of the sim.

Funny and simple. It was great to see the boys back mostly on form. The Cat was just brilliant. Back in his over the top outfits, back doing his side walking thing. Kryten felt the same. But something was just a tiny bit off with Lister and Rimmer. I can't quite put my finger on it. Hopefully next weeks - whatever is niggling me will be gone.




No comments:

Post a Comment