Tuesday 23 October 2012

Who wants to live forever?



So I worked out how to use my TIVO this weekend and videoed a film that I hadn't watched in years - Highlander. To say it was made when I was 6 I still really enjoyed the whole concept of it. And to be honest Christopher Lambert is in his heyday looking abit dreamy.

Anyway it got me thinking about immortality. If someone told me I could live forever I don't think I would take that choice. I would hate to see people around me grow old and die.

In one sense my belief in an afterlife and reincarnation means we are all immortal. But if everyone is involved then I'm happy with that. The idea that you went through life alone like the highlander did, I couldn't cope.

Some people strive to live on and find ways to beat old father time. We have the ability to freeze heads and full bodies. Scientists are looking for ways to bring people back. More recently:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2175374/Russian-research-project-offers-immortality-billionaires--transplanting-brains-robot-bodies.html

Personally - death is a natural process and not one I feel we should try mess with. Plus the idea or robots and avatars freaks me out somewhat when not in a Guild wars game naturally.

Films like twilight romanticism the idea of living forever. But we will say no more. If I get started on Twilight then this blog will go from something quite interesting to a total rant. Sorry but vampires should NOT sparkle!!!!

Some people reach immortality by the remembered deeds that they do.
I remember reading about a chap referred to as the Count of St Germain. He is supposedly immortal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Count_of_St._Germain

http://paranormal.about.com/od/humanenigmas/a/saint-germain.htm

He has popped up over many centuries and there are lots of reports of him. Fascinating but its makes you wonder. Is he happy or lonely roaming the world forever?

Any thoughts?




No comments:

Post a Comment