Sunday 4 September 2011

Are we in a computer game?

Just reflecting on a conversation I had this weekend, the sociological part of my brain thats if Im honest has laid dormant for a while, felt the need to investigate further.

What is reality? Mike, my lecturer at Leeds Met had us do a fascinating module in our degree on cybertheory. Well I think if this article had existed back in my uni days it would have been really interesting to do a thesis on.

Apparently a philospher chap in Oxford, Dr Bostrom believes that mathematically its a certaincy that we are living in someone elses computer simulation.

Can you imagine that? I mean for one thing it sounds like the plot of one of my favourite games - Starocean till the end of time.

Secondly I play the sims, and I love the sims. I play RPG games and I love them. Whos to say that there isn't another consciousness out there and Im in their game? We could all be Sims.  Mindf£$king stuff.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/14/science/14tier.html

No comments:

Post a Comment