Sunday 30 January 2011

Begins of the geek - Mysteries 1



When I was 7 I think, Startrek the next generation had just started in the UK. At that time I used to laugh at my Dad for watching Star Trek. My Dad in response one day made me sit down and watch the premiere episode - encounter at Farpoint station and whoah and behold 2 hours later I was also hooked. So beganth an interest in science fiction.

Being a girl, certainly in my area, growning up who liked science fiction - I was minority. I suffered alot of teasing, bullying through my school years. The ironic thing is in all those years I felt rather alone, had we of had the Internet like today I would been able to see how much I wasn't a minority as there are so many other people out there that love it too.

I remember another memory with my dad when I was very young. I got for christmas that year a Patrick Moore book - A childs introduction to astronomy. Anybody reading this not British, Patrick Moore is a famous astronomer in the UK - google him. He's cool, he was also games master. It doesn't get much cooler than that!

Looking back perhaps my Dad was trying to steer me towards being a scientist. There have been many strange christmas pressies over the years - infact the huge algebra one I got when I was about 12 sticks out the most . . . . .  Alas that never happened. Its probably a good thing as if I did have the brain power and incanation to write a whole load of math on boards and stuff then I would no doubt have turned out like Lesley Winkle on the big bang theory.

Dad took me outside one night, back in the days you could see all the stars clearly and pointed out and explained the stars and planets and constellations to me. I remember looking up and upon clarifying with Dad that if Earth - our planet revolved around a star and there were millions of stars out there, then probably somebody was standing on another planet orbiting a star staring at ours in their night sky. My Dad said to me, we couldn't prove it yet but he thought so too. So beganth a solid belief that we were not alone in the universe. How could we be if all those other stars and planets existed?

I got into the X-files when I was 11 and my world of the paranormal and interest in it just grew in leaps and bounds. I also saw 2 UFO's, one in the night and one in the day. Interestingly enough I saw both of these with my brothers friend. We still talk about it to this day. I remember running to find a camera for the one in broad daylight, sadly and as always seems to be the tale -  it had disappeared in some clouds when I got back downstairs. So beganth my obsession with having a camera with me at all times. I won't miss it next time.

Why am I telling you this? Well in my attempts to write what I know and am interested in, I'm pretty sure I'm going to talk about some of this type of stuff.  And I'm very logical - not Spock emotionless logical but to the point where I like to understand things from beginning to end. So these are my beginnings.

In completely different news I totally geeked out last night upon discovering a hilariously funny movie - Fan boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment