Monday 4 June 2012

The white queen

So I made a promise to myself this year that I would read more. This came out of a comment my sister made about  how I used to always read and well I did growing up. I'm not sure when I stopped reading as much but I decided to address it. I also decided that I needed to read different things. I love science fiction - have about a billion star trek novels and I love kind of your adventure almost Indiana Jones type stories. But I need to widen my horizons.

Anyway Waterstones was doing one of its buy 2 get the 3rd half price things and I picked up a book for work, a book I had been wanting by Iain Banks and took a chance on one called the white queen. This was about October time last year. It was the story of Elizabeth - wife of Edward during the time of the war of the roses. Not my normal cup of tea. Or so I thought. Yes its taken me over 6 months to get to it but once I started it was fascinating.

In fact I really enjoyed it. The author Philippa Gregory does an excellent job bringing Elizabeth's story to life. So much so that there was a taster chapter of her next book - the white princess - Elizabeth's daughters story that the end of the White queen sets you up for. So I have to read that too.

However Waterstones informed me its still in production. But what I wasn't aware of was there is a series - its called the cousins war. And the first book is called the lady of the rivers. So I picked that up yesterday for £5.99. And this is the story of Elizabeth (the white queens mother) - there is also a red queen one which I presume is the story of the Lancashire queen.

Here is the link  to the authors website:

http://www.philippagregory.com/

I'll let you know how it goes.

In order news I had my favorite Geordie down this weekend with Mr Chaney. They came down for the Mumford and Sons concert. We didn't get much time together but we did get to go for a nice Sunday lunch yesterday and I got to practice my tarot skills on them. Thanks guys Xx





No comments:

Post a Comment