Thursday 28 July 2011

The thin ideal . . .

Wow I now have 4 followers. Excellent. Waves at David!

The healthy eating plan is going well at the moment. I had my first session with Ang and I am happy to report  I have lost half a stone.  Its not masses and the inpatient part of my brain really wants it to be but things are different this time. Its not a diet. Its a lifestyle change. As long as the weight comes off steadily and my body stabilises at a weight it deems right for itself I'm going to be happy. Because its natural, healthy and right. And above all you don't argue with nature do you? Its powerful forces that you just don't mess with.

I think in the past I get caught up in it too much. The diet stuff. Im sure loads of people out there can emphasis with me. You start off so great, then limit limit limit yourself and get miserable and grouchy. And then bam you seesaw the other way, lose control and are right back where you started. And apparently thats why diets don't work. Its a vicious cycle.

When I was at uni and a darn sight thinner - size 12 - 14, I chose to look at body image for my dissertation. Its shocking the diet industry, how much money they make from people who are insecure and unhappy with their bodies. Its shocking the images of the "thin ideals" that the media bombards us with putting these thoughts into the heads of people who don't measure up to the images they put out.

And even though I studied it, tested it and wrote a 10k thesis about it, I still fall for it. Tonight even, I fell into that trap. But its programmed into me. It has been for years. So its really difficult to stand back and say, "so what you are you. And love yourself."

Anita Rodericks always had the right idea, so heres a little reminder not to beat myself up or worry so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment