Thursday 17 February 2011

Outcasts

I really can't make my mind up about this offering for the BBC. Its about a group of human settlers on a planet called "Carpathia" in 2060. So intially my head was like . . . "Oooooo its going to be like Earth 2". Nadda. I watched the first episode and decided that it was pretty flat. The only character I liked was played by Jamie Bamber and then they killed him at the end.


Being the scifi geek that I am, I deemed to give it a second chance so viewed ep 2. Now this was slightly more intriguing. They introduced a group of people called AC's - cloned humans to you and me. They were created genetically superior to survive in the environment and banished when they got a virus. They thought that they were the cause.  It gave the show and certainly the "president" a slightly darker edge as he ordered their execution. Jamie Bambers character didn't carry it out and set them free to create their own life away from the settlement however they are pissed!!! I really don't feel that engrossed right now but never the less I continued to view and catch the end of ep 4 on tuesday before I watched Gypsies.

Finally I was starting to warm to a couple of characters. Cass - now torn between his love for Fleur his partner in effectively the Capathia police force and his duty to the boring president guy. Its hinting he has a bigger and darker past thats going to come out at some point. Fleur - despite bounching excellently off Cass banterwise. Your sat there just like, "will they, won't they" get together. Well shes quite dumb really. She smuggled a baby out of the settlement in a dufflebag. She seems willing to throw away her whole career on a moment notice all the time. Like this week. They had to bring in a rogue AC who attacked someone in the city. One second shes terrified of him and the next shes risking everything to sneak out, find the AC leader and help the man.


Thank god for the introduction of the sinister spiritual guy played by ugly betties Daniel. He's growing on me more and more. Hes taking them down from the inside, clearly has a game plan and I think he knows a lot more about whats going on.


I still cannot warm to Hermione Norris's character. Shes cold and boring. She spent the whole first ep pinning for her daughter coming on the transport from earth and as soon as she has her back and the lass is understandably pissed at her mother - she throws her out. Okay the kid leaked some info to a radio host just to piss her off but your a parent. You don't miss 15 years of her life and then banish her at the first sign of trouble. Geez. And whats the deal with her obsession with  the machine that can let them picture memories.


There has been hints of something weird going on from the moment the president guys photograph was spinning on his desk. In ep 4 he went beyond the city wall and started seeing his dead children, saying I know your not real but don't leave me yet. I have 2 theories for this hehe. Im not going to say ghosts. Supernatural - its too BSG. Been done before. So my theories are:

  1. The president guy is suffering hallucinations from having that virus. Its not erradicated like they thought.
  2. Its some weird psychological after effect from Hermione Norris's memories machine.
 The end of ep 4 however has got me gripped to see ep 5 now. They found a skeleton. A 10 thousand year old skeleton. Again its a tad BSG like but it blows open a whole load more new possibilites. Have humans lived there before or is it of something else. Yes please. Dump some aliens on us. It can only make the show better.

No comments:

Post a Comment