Wednesday 23 March 2011

Goldfish update and body image

They are at least the right way up in the bowl I have them in now. So Im guessing thats good. Fingers crossed. Ive put about 6 or 7 fish flakes in there to see if they actually eat anything. There moving a little round the bowl now. Oscar looks the worse, he's tried to swim a couple of times and keeps bottlenosing. I did consider giving them some peas, perhaps tonight.

Before the big fish panic last night I was watching a show called supersize vs super thin kids addition.Its  presented by this chap - Dr Christian Jesson.
He gets one supersized person and one super thin person to live together in a feeding clinic for a few days and to eat the others diet. Its a bid to teach them to be healthier. Last night there was a you boy I think in junior school weighing 16 stone.

Ive had an interest in body image since I did it for my dissertation at uni. Its not only somthing that affects every since person but also big busniess for the economy. I remember watching a video called Slim Hopes. Advertising an obsession in Thinness." I think Annie Lennox sums up the whole idea of the "slim ideal" here:


Last night they had a girl on who had been anorexic. A young teenage girl. Apparently there are these pro-ana site they call them urging girls to not eat to be thin. Now normally Im on the other side of body image, being overweight I suffer for low self esteem and confidence. But seeing the other side and how dangerous it is for children as such a young age is heartbreaking. No 9 or 10 year old should be thinking how can I live on 1 apple a day to stay thin.

No comments:

Post a Comment