Wednesday 30 March 2011

Fat girl slim update - some thoughts

Very happy to say my running made easy (zest) book showed up today and I really kind of needed it. As I predicted I ache like buggery. What made it even more annoying is Steve aka my gym buddy - who consequently Im not sure how much of a gym buddy he will be after this week as hes leaving work and the last few times hes been on A/L he's epically failed the gym everytime. So I think Im going to be on my own as of next week . .. . . but yeah I just digressed. Its annoying as Steve never aches.

So yes all day long, aching aching aching. Then to my horror the feeling of tiredness that I seemed to have a week a so a go is suddenly back. Im not sure what this is all about. So I have started a taking a multi-vitamin every day. Im trying to eat the protein that Kirts told me too - which isn't easy. 300g of cottage cheese is alot to eat as a snack. Im going to go to bed earlier tonight and try sleep it off abit. My next gym session is friday, so hopefully a couple of good sleeps between now and then will sort me out.

Anyhoo - my zest book is pretty good and now Im feeling at lot more positive and motivated. Lots of testimonials of people who have embraced running and Ive just flicked through and discovered some stuff I didn't know. First up apparently most runners, the first 10 mins are awful. After you cross that mark things start to get better. Obviously Im nowhere near the 10 min mark yet. Im stuck around 8 to 9 mins with recovery walk breaks in between. Hopefully though being armed with this nugget of info will help next time I get on the treadmill. When Im plodding on there feeling awful Im going to try telling myself over and over as soon as you hit 10 mins you will feel better.

The zest book says to diary your experiences everyday - check Im pretty doing that on here. Lots of suggestions what to eat - salmon, sweet potatoes, spinach . . . .  check - Im doing all that. List reasons to run in book: Heres a few:
  1. I want to love myself more, but have less of me to love - can resonate with that one! Weightloss big reason I started. Goal created - I want to get back into my green dress.
  2. I want to banish away the blues
  3. I want to be able to do a 5k run - hell yes, This was the start of the whole thing also. Check - signed up for race for life in july. Goal created.
  4. I want to send my esteem rocking - yes please!
I think I will add -
  •  I want to be fitter - not out of breath, be able to bound up stairs, walk up hills with ease etc
  • To help with stress - channel all that negative energy into running
  • I actually DO want to be able to run. I see all these amazing people on the roads and look at them thinking wow, amazing. I want to do that.
  • I want to be in control
  • I want to challenge myself - see how far I can actually go
Anyway every morning after a gym session, Bex bless her asks me how its gone. This morning I turned round and said not so good . . . . blah blah blah I only managed blah blah blah. I was pretty miserable this morning and still disappointed I didn't manage the 5 mins. Bex told me off and Im kind of glad she did as in doing what I was doing I wasn't acknowledging what I had managed to do.

3 months ago, I was really really really unfit. Now Im not saying Im fit now but I feel so much better than I did. I have lost 10lbs in weight. Okay its not as much as I would like, but Im also loosing inches and building muscle. Thats good - and think about it thats only running/jogging 1 - 3 mins at a time. Its got to fall off when I get to 20 - 30 min sessions time. But the best part is after xmas I pretty much wanted to collaspe after 30 seconds. Now I can do 3 mins straight. I have improved 10 fold.

My dad told me when I said I wanted to run, it was the stupidest idea I had ever had. That I would hurt myself. That I was too fat to run. Well apparently there are tons of other overweight people doing that. The truth is I think this is the best thing Ive done in a long time despite aching like buggery, sweating buckets and feeling knackered some of the time. And Im going to continue and prove him wrong. I want to run all or pretty much all of that 5 k in 3 and a bit months and I want him standing at that finish line eating his words and proud of me. I want to be proud of me. So you know what Im going to run. If it takes me 3 and a bit months or 3 years I will get there somehow.

No comments:

Post a Comment